The Steiner House was designed in 1910 for Lilly Steiner, a renowned painter, and her husband in a small Vienna suburb. The suburb in which the site is located has strict building regulations which ended up having a significant outcome on the final design. The regulations in this particular suburb have specific height limitations. When looking at the Steiner House from the sidewalk, any bystander will notice the quarter-cylinder metal-sheathed roof; this came as a result of the building regulations that allowed houses to be only one story above the street level and contain one dormer. However, the clients needed a larger space, so Loos concealed the extra floors by adding them underground. These extra floors can be seen on the garden facade of the home.
According to Loos, the exterior of the Steiner House was “the public side of the House...and devoid of ornamentation”. He then states the the interior “is the Private...which reflected the owner’s personal taste”. Most of the interior however reflected Loos’s personal taste. It was adorned with rich woods, marble, and artificial ceiling beams.